It’s important we always have the most up to date details for you to ensure you continue to receive your BTPS pension without interruption.

If you change address, contact details or change bank details, please let us know. You can update your details yourself on the portal and it takes effect immediately.


Changing your bank details

We’ll pay your pension directly into your bank account. If you change back details, it’s vital you let us know in plenty of time. You can do this on the member portal – just log in.

Moving overseas?

If you wish to have your pension paid into an overseas bank account, you can download a Western Union overseas bank mandate from the portal but specifying the relevant country. Be aware that we will always pay your pension in pounds sterling (GBP). Your overseas bank may charge you extra so check their terms.

If you are planning to live abroad, you might prefer to receive your BTPS correspondence online rather than through the post. It’ll arrive quicker and be more secure. By registering for our online service through the member portal, we can put any letters we send straight into your My documents library online. We’ll email you to let you know it’s there.

Our obligation to re-verify your identity

We have a duty to safeguard our pension scheme against fraud. Protecting your pension, the pensions we pay our 200,000 pensioners and all those members who are yet to retire is paramount. As part of our commitment to do this, we are required to contact members receiving BTPS pensions from time to time and ask them to complete a proof of identity exercise. This is called ‘attestation’.

We appreciate it can feel a bit strange, or even intrusive, if we contact you to ask you to prove your identity. Especially if we’ve been paying your pension for years. However, it’s something we’re obliged to do so we hope you understand. If we contact you, we’ll ask you to provide us with a copy of either a passport or photo driving license. If you need any help competing our attestation form our friendly team are at the end of the phone to help.

If we lose contact with you because you’ve not told us you’ve moved, it may mean we can’t successfully complete this attestation process. If that happens, we may have to suspend your pension. To avoid that, please keep in touch.